DIY Golden Globes Viewing Party
It’s awards season! That means glitz and glamor, celebrities, and viewing parties. This weekend, don’t miss the 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards held at the International Ballroom at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on Sunday, 5PST/8CST. For those who may not be familiar, The Golden Globe Award is an accolade bestowed by the 93 members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) recognizing excellence in film and television, both domestic and foreign (thanks, Wikipedia). This year, two of my favorite comediennes will be hosting, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler!
This is cause to celebrate! Honor your favorite TV shows, movies, actors, and actresses by throwing none other than a last-minute DIY viewing party, complete with all the glamor any award-winning shindig should have.
What you’ll need:
- A red carpet to make your guests feel like famous celebrities as they strut down your walkway, hallway, or doorway. You can scramble to find cheap ones from the local thrift shop, borrow some from friends, invest in several like the Hampen rug from Ikea, or even use butcher paper that you’ve painted red.
- Ballots for all your predictions. See how everyone’s votes measure up to the HFPA’s choices. Make it fun by offering a prize to the person whose votes most closely match the winners of the night!
- Decorations to go with your golden theme. Try constructing golden globe garlands by folding gold foil cupcake liners in half, gluing about 13 together at the spine, one on top of another, closing the circles, and fluffing the liners into globes. Repeat, then connect all your globes by a string, and hang them up!
- Glassware that matches your decor. Make your glasses special by decorating them with gold glitter, gold spray paint, or gold leaf. Get creative here, and experiment with different patterns and looks.
- Extra touches like drink stirrers that feature categories or nominees for your guests to enjoy. Little things like this will make your party especially memorable and enjoyable.
- Don’t forget the drinks and appetizers! It’s not a party unless there’s booze and food.
Watch NBC’s featurette about how to “Throw a Globes Viewing Party” and see how to make the DIY projects I’ve talked about for yourself. You can find more information about the Golden Globe Awards, categories, and contenders at goldenglobe.org. Have fun making your predictions, and may the best nominees win!