Wind Down for National Simplify Your Life Week
August 2, 2013
Thoreau once said, “Simplify, simplify, simplify”– actually, he said it three times– and that idea resonates with us during the first week of August, which is National Simplify Your Life Week. With the ease of summer winding down and school and holiday season approaching once again, it can be very easy to get swept up in a stressful flurry like an autumn leaf in the breeze. Try as one might, sometimes it’s just impossible to juggle it all. And while some people enjoy a challenge, it’s just as important to recognize when enough is enough. Here’s some wise thoughts and helpful tips from Be More With Less and a few thoughts of our own for this week:
- Start with a different routine: add some positive activity to your morning routine. Meditating, repeating a mantra, or even going for a quick jog (if that elevates your mood) will enhance your outlook for the rest of the day and help you accomplish the following.
- Avoid giving in to negative thinking: it’s probably the easiest thing in the world to, but resisting that downward spiral that begins with a single negative thought can stop you from overemphasizing things like a to-do list, chores, or why you can’t ever get to your target weight. This will give you much more time to focus on what’s really important.
- Stop complaining: another one of the easiest things to do, complaining actually increases stress and derails your energy. Some things are just out of your control, plain and simple, but you can control how much influence it has on you.
- Learn to say no: it’s a difficult thing to turn someone or something down, perhaps out of fear of being rude or passing up a good opportunity. But when you know when your basket is full, it’s extremely empowering to say, no, no more for me.
- Appreciate what you have: yes, that addage your mother used on you is true. When you see that what you’ve got really ain’t all that bad, you realize that bigger TV isn’t something you need.
- Create a clean space for yourself: when you’re looking at an organized, efficient space, you feel more in control, and your priorities are much easier to see. Try something like a Snap It Up Organizer to simplify a small space like a desk or nightstand.
Think about the things in your life that could use some revamping or reorganizing, such as:
- your desires (both immediate and long term)
- your goals
- your to-do list
- your workspace
- even those people you surround yourself with!
Simplify what you put your energy into and placing yourself in an environment that fosters a respect for simplicity. Remember, your physical space is just as important as your mental one!
The key to simplifying your life and hence minimizing your stress requires but a few rules and a commitment to making things easier for yourself. Once it’s established into your routine, simplifying and enjoying your life will be the standard rather than the exception. Enjoying a simplified life during and after National Simplify Your Life Week is one of the keys to being content and fulfilled with everything you’ve got!
Sources: 7 Ways to Simplify Your Life