National Zoo and Aquarium Month
July 10, 2013
Summer doesn’t just bring hot days and a good excuse for ice cream. What many people don’t know is that the month of June is home to one of the most important movements of the year: National Zoo and Aquarium Month. National Zoo and Aquarium Month was implemented by the American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums. This monthly movement is meant to inspire individuals all across America to visit their local zoos and aquariums to have fun and get educated about wilderness and wildlife creatures.
Visiting the zoo and aquarium is a great inexpensive outing, for both families and individuals, searching for something entertaining to do. They are filled with tons of cool photographs and videos showcasing fun facts and interesting things that the average person has never seen or even heard of.
In order to fully enjoy your day at the zoo or aquarium it’s good to plan ahead for your trip. Here are some things to keep in mind when getting ready for your next adventure:
- Visit the Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums to pinpoint your nearest zoo and aquarium locations.
- Find out the admission prices and accepted payment methods beforehand (so you’ll know exactly how much you will be spending and what credit cards to bring or leave at home)
- Inquire about which items are allowed into the zoo/aquarium and what items aren’t so that you will not be denied entrance.
- Some zoos and aquariums prohibit outside food and beverages. This type of information is usually available on the company’s website.
- Make sure to bring sunglasses, visors and sunscreen to protect yourself from the sun.
- Wear comfortable shoes because you will definitely be doing a lot of walking.
- Lots of zoos and aquarium host different hourly shows and video presentations so binoculars are a must have. A pair of reasonably priced Binoculars will have you viewing the presentation, as if you’re sitting in the front row.
Of course you have to bring along your camera to capture unforgettable moments and take pictures of the unique creatures you’ll visit. If you want to fit in among the wildlife consider our line of Lomography Film cameras. The Python Fisheye 2 is decorated to look like a slithering snake and the La Sardina Sea Pride model takes its inspiration from the vast sea. Both cameras take stunning pictures, so your memories will last a lifetime.
Join us in celebrating National Zoo and Aquarium Season by planning a trip to your local zoo or aquarium. You’ll be surprised at all of the interesting things you will see and learn. Leave us a comment and let us know what inspired you most about this incredible adventure.