Handy Tools for Keeping your Resolutions
So it’s 2013, you’ve survived the apocalypse, and now it’s time to conquer your resolutions! Don’t let this be another year of failed and forgotten aspirations, where you start off strong but end up falling off the wagon. Chances are you’ve heard this before: the best resolutions to set are those that are small, measurable, and specific. For instance, if you want to expand your vocabulary, don’t just say you’ll read more this year. Instead, set a goal to read for 15 minutes every day, or sign up to receive emails that feature a word of the day from a source like dictionary.com.
It’s never too late (or too early) to set new goals for yourself, so if you’ve already started your resolutions from January 1st, keep it up! If you decided to skip the resolutions this year, maybe you’ll change your mind as the year progresses. Either way, here are some handy tools that can help you keep up with your goals and turn this year’s resolutions into accomplishments!
Ever heard of the quote, “What gets measured gets improved”? Often, people don’t follow through with their resolutions because they don’t break down their goals into simple tasks. Measure your progress with these ideas and items to see improvements you can be proud of.
- Magnetic board with pen and eraser – With a magnetic dry-erase board, reminders and keeping record of your goals couldn’t be easier. The Blomus MURO Magnetic Board with Pen and Eraser comes with mounting hardware to hang photos or notes to motivate you. This is also great for receiving messages from loved ones encouraging you to stick to your resolutions.
- Weekly planner – This is a fantastic tool for updating your daily and weekly goals. Mount a dry-erase planner to your fridge and never forget another task for the rest of the year!
- Incentive charts – You probably remember these types of charts in elementary school, but who said you couldn’t utilize these babies now? Track how fast you’re running the mile each week or how often you’ve been taking those multivitamins you vowed to take regularly starting 2013.
- Goal tracking software – If you’re more on-the-go, there’s software you can download onto your computer and smart phone so you can achieve more systematically. GoalsOnTrack is a neat option. Look online for some other helpful software that’s right for you.
Whether you want to lose weight, eat healthier, learn to cook, or save time and money, investing in items like these will help you in your efforts to do just that.
- Salad spinner – Most people who don’t own salad spinners usually don’t know the wonders of having one. You can dry washed vegetables in a snap with this tool, and the faster and easier it is to prepare fresh, healthy foods, the more likely you’ll be willing to eat healthy.
- Vegetable chopper – No more excuses not to eat your veggies as long as you keep a convenient veggie chopper at hand. You can make healthy dips, salsas, and guacamole to pair with snacks and meals that are tasty and good for you. Definitely a win-win.
- Emulsifier and salad dressing mixer – With this, there’s no need to buy and consume fatty salad dressings that will ruin your resolution. You can create your own signature dressing or recreate your favorites without the added preservatives and unnecessary ingredients. This Chef’n dressing maker even comes with tasty recipes like sweet dressing and cumin vinaigrette!
For a healthier lifestyle, drinking enough water is one of the best things you can do. Having a glass of water before dinner, for instance, will help curb your hunger so you eat less and shed pounds. Try these things to help you stay focused on your goals.
- Water drinking app on your smart phone – Download an app that will remind you to drink water and help you keep track of how much water you drink throughout your busy day as well. Try Water your Body for Androids, or Waterlogged for iPhones.
- Filter water bottle – One great way to stay adequately hydrated is by having a filter water bottle at hand. Black + Blum’s Eau Good Filter Water Bottle is great if you don’t like the taste of tap. It comes with a natural filter called Binchotan, used by the Japanese since the 17th century. Taste the difference and begin your hydrating habits today.
If you made a resolution to travel more, get out of the house more, or enjoy nature more, try some of these products, and let them inspire you to expand your horizons, anywhere from your backyard to across the globe.
- Wine caddy – Associating fun with achieving your goals could not be a better combination for success. Picnics, among other things, are neat and rewarding incentives for you to spend more time away from your couch or desk. With a sophisticated leather wine caddy, you’ll always be ready for an impromptu outing that will turn your resolution into a lifestyle.
- Lunch box – Wherever you go, go with food! These sturdy Apetit lunch boxes were made for being out in the world. Unlike most lunch boxes, these include a sauce pot, a fork and knife, and separate compartments for foods of different temperatures. Great for picnics, hikes, day trips, practically any activity that will have you being outdoors and outside of the house.
- Travel log – Document your goal-setting with a travel log that includes a beautifully designed travel journal, travel tips and advice, and 8 mini maps representing different regions of the world. This log/journal will be the definitive proof of your travels accomplishments!
- Personalized map – Another way to keep track of your new travels is by having fun with a scratch map. Stay on top of your resolutions by seeing how much or how little you’ve explored places near and far, and plan accordingly.
These are just some ideas to get you thinking about how you can help yourself stick to this year’s resolutions. I’d love to hear any ideas you may have to share. Good luck to you all, and happy 2013!